Friday, November 9, 2012

Show & Tell 8.0: An Exquisite Corpse

Participants in different musical subcultures usually have a distinctive style, and the more underground the culture the more far-out the uniform. In the beginning (late 1980s), Norwegian Black Metal was not about clothes, props, or make-up, but now the image of a long-haired barbarian in leather, spikes, and corpse paint is inextricably linked to the genre.

I imagine the way this came to be is similar to the time Marc Bolan of T. Rex impulsively put glitter on his face before a TV appearance. Soon after that night, everyone was doing it, and the aesthetic of Ziggy Stardust, Gary Glitter, Queen, Slade, and countless others gave shape to what became known as Glam Rock.

I'm certain a story like this exists with Black Metal, but with decidedly less light-hearted results (see below). This narrative, along with some other bigger and more important ones, will be the subject of my project 7. Stay tuned for more Mayhem.....

Darkthrone via
Gaahl from Gorgoroth via

Emperor via
Burzum via

Immortal via


2 comments:

  1. This sound like a great project. I remember hear about a war between black metal and white metal (I swear that white metal is real). Anyway I love the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your eclectic and wide-spread knowledge amazes me. What a very different type of "hobby"--I look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete